PBI UK and the Alliance for Lawyers at Risk present a webinar series - "The Right to Defend: - Portraits of Resilience, Hope and Solidarity".
These webinars will shine a light on the heroic efforts of brave individuals to expose human rights violations and support vulnerable communities during the COVID-19 health crisis. These online sessions are an opportunity to hear the stories of human rights defenders and learn about the innovative strategies they are developing to keep their communities alive. Together we will explore the impact of COVID-19 on defenders and the wellbeing of the marginalised communities they support, as government measures encroach on basic rights and civil liberties. They are an essential pillar of their communities; key workers rooted in their neighbourhoods, able to reach those outside the system. Human rights defenders take incredible risks because they believe in a better world, where everyone’s rights are respected and upheld.
- Wednesday 3 June 2020 at 5pm – Government and Grassroots Responses in Kenya
- Wednesday 10 June 2020 at 5pm – Defending Human Rights Under Lockdown in Latin America
- Wednesday 17 June 2020 at 5pm – Juliet Stephenson "Stories of Resilience, Hope and Solidarity"
- Wednesday 24 June 2020 at 5pm – Environmental Rights and the Legal Community
- Wednesday 1 July 2020 at 5pm – Women's Rights During the Pandemic
- Wednesday 8 July 2020 – Protecting our Future Through Corporate Accountability